Sunday, April 16, 2006

Things not finished

It hit me around 5:00 this afternoon - it's Sunday, which means tomorrow is Monday. The form of this transition varies from week to week. The consistent thing is that it always is a transition.

At 5:00 I was sitting on a comfortable couch in my parent's house, chatting with my sister and my neices. We'd had a wonderful home-cooked Easter lunch, helium balloons for the kids (though the evil auntie who supplied the helium would not allow kids to inhale it and talk with funny voices,) good conversation, and to top it all off, another glorious spring day that beckoned us all out to enjoy and savour.

Then the thought of Monday....... I love my job (does that sound defensive?!) BUT - I feel like I run from one set of unfinished tasks to the next. Tomorrow is a day mostly made up of meetings with parents, where we talk about accomplishments over the past school year, and talk about where we are heading. The "you haven't done enough" voice in my head reminds me that I haven't spent enough time with these kids, that I have not been at that particular school for about 10 days now, and wonders what I will find to say when it's my turn.

The "time is limited and you do your best" voice is logical and tries hard to put a positive spin on things.

The "these kids deserve more" voice alternates between being passionate and resigned.

The reality is that I will speak honestly, and I know that we will have things to celebrate.

As I sit here at my computer, there are holes in the wall to my left. The window frame is missing a board at the top. There are no baseboards on the outside walls. The computer table is in the middle of the room, waiting for my friend the plaster person to come and render my walls whole again. He is another who runs from one unfinished task to the next.

I am not alone.

Things not finished.

1 Comments:

Blogger joyce said...

yes, but you do ever so much, and you still find the time for the wonderful extras.

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home