Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Thinking outside the box

I'm up in the Arctic right now, in a little town on a tiny island in the middle of the Hudson's Bay. When I checked the weather on Monday (preparing to come here) I saw that the temperatures were quite mild - between minus 2 and minus 5.

Wow, that's pretty warm for April, thought I.

Well yes, and so was 23 degrees in my own fair city. I was running around in shorts and T-shirt, thinking about air conditioning. Well, not for long. On principal, I refuse to use air conditioning in April. Opening the windows works just fine.

But packing for the Arctic when you are sweating from unseasonably warm weather - I just couldn't imagine being cold.

So a couple of fleeces and a rain jacket would be fine, right?!

I have been here many many times - how did I forget about the wind? My hands and ears were cold as soon as I stepped off the plane and walked over to the airport.

One of the nurses was kind enough to lend me some mitts, and a hat, but my big German head would render her little hat quite shapeless in no time. Fortunately there were some hand-crocheted hats for sale at the hotel, and one was just my size. Sold!

Thinking (and packing) outside the box. Easier said than done. Right now it's hard to imagine running around in shorts and T-shirt.

3 Comments:

Blogger joyce said...

Isn't that the silly thing? We've always lived in this extreme climate, yet from year to year, I can't imagine being so hot that I crave winter; or so cold that it seems impossible for things to grow here...

7:38 AM  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

You've been tagged...come and see.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Carlotti said...

Joyce - when I got home yesterday, I stepped off the plane wearing long pants, fleece, and hoody. Then I remembered the pilots had announced the temperature as 20 degrees.

I've transitioned quickly to shorts and T-shirt.

Brian - how flattering to have been tagged. My problem is that I am not in touch with 5 other bloggers who have not already been tagged. (eg, those who comment regularly on yours and Joyce's blogs.)

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home