Thursday, April 27, 2006

From A to B via X-Y-ZED

There never seems to be an easy way to get anything done in my life. Well, maybe there is, but somehow I never seem to travel down that road.

The latest has been a furniture purchase. A dear friend of mine has moved into senior's housing, and I bought her 85-year-old mahogany dining room suite at an amazing price. Table, chairs, buffet with mirror, and china cabinet. I measured my available space, and have decided it WILL fit. And be gorgeous.

The hitch? I live on the 2nd floor of my very old house. Narrow staircase plus old furniture that is solid and does not include disassembling and reassembling options make for a bit of a challenge.

Okay, so on to step 2 in this process: have someone in to give me an estimate for a patio door in the living room. Do I have a patio? Well, no. That would come some time later. The door is just to move the furniture through. A friend of mine has one of these doors that leads to empty space, and she calls it her "mother-in-law" door. Use your imagination to figure that one out.

While we're at it, I think, why not replace all of the drafty leady windows on the 2nd floor? I could save some money on installation. Ha ha. Add another chunk of money for windows and installation. Good thing there are low-interest loans available.

Next step is organizing the move. I don't even want to think about the price tag on this one, because it will mean renting a small crane or a scissor lift to bring the furniture up to my new door and slide it in the back way.

I just hope my intuition is right and I live here until I can no longer crawl up the stairs.

Going about life the complicated way.

3 Comments:

Blogger lettuce said...

Oh go for it! the furniture sounds wonderful.

A mother-in-law door, what a great idea! My MIL is lovely though.
Rambling Woman would like a Father-in-law door. (trying a link, hope it works)

10:29 AM  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Have a 'movin' this huge 900 piece dining room no problem I've already measured everything' PARTY!

It's amazing how much ingenuity & testosterone can be summoned upon with the right people watching...

and not one sip of anything until it's all in place. I'd love to help but I'm really busy that day....

9:40 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Hi there, thanks for visiting my blog! Lovely to read about other people's lives in other parts of the world! Isn't the internet BRILLIANT! (BTW that's a line from 'the fast show'! - you may have seen it?)

I will pop by again when not entertaining father in laws!

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home