Saturday, December 16, 2006

Confessions of an extremist

Extremes run in my family. I love genetics, especially the highly scientific variety, that allow me to rationalize behaviour that the sensible side of me does not find acceptable.

Some confessions of this extremist:
1. I can't usually stay awake past 10:00. Often it's more like 9:30.

2. Last night (this morning) I finally fell asleep at 3:30. I blame it on an extremely restful work trip this week, in which I spent many hours travelling and not very many hours actually seeing kids. Flying equals naptime. Early to bed, late to rise equals long long hours of undisturbed sleep (my apologies to insomniacs and parents of young children.)

3. Friday nights are often my most tired night of the week. Last night, I and a friend went to a "two-for-one" movie theatre, entering at 7 and emerging at 12:30, then out for something to eat and some lovely blueberry tea.

4. I love blueberry tea but fortunately forget to have it at home, so a bottle of Amaretto lasts me a long long time.

5. I deleted all the games off my computer years ago, as it was very easy to do nothing else, but grow old as I clicked cards around my screen.

6. I was foolish enough to think I was enough to handle computer games again, so loaded solitaire (all the varieties under the sun) a few weeks ago.

7. They got deleted this morning.

8. People have this concept of me as a healthy eater. In fact, I do buy mostly "whole foods" (that's a new term for me) from the outskirts of the grocery store, so I suppose it's not all bunk.

9. I love candy and chocolate. On a recent trip to Nunavut, I discovered HUGE sugar blobs in the Co-op which I renamed giant rockets. I ate half of them, and shared the rest with my friend Al, who shares my enjoyment of those little rolls of sugary delight. He loved the giant rockets.

10. I am passionate about my work.

11. I hate paperwork.

12. Last year I filed 4 years worth of tax returns.

13. At the ripe old age of 41, I seem to have acquired the ability to sleep in.

14. I love to buck the trends.

15. I have a fantastic memory for tiny inconsequential details, like what Micah was wearing when he came to the Folk Festival at the age of three months.

16. I remember astonishingly little of the facts and details I spent hours and hours pounding into my brain through four years of university. The image of A.J.Fernando smoking in the halls with his long cigarette holder, however, is permanently burned into my brain. So is his green polyester suit with the flared legs.

17. You can stand a spoon up in my coffee. I can easily drink 4 or 5 cups of the stuff.

18. Once or twice a year, I come to my senses about all the caffeine, and switch instantly to decaf. Then it's mixed, and the caffeine slowly takes over once again.

I think that's enough for now. The coffee pot is empty.

2 Comments:

Blogger it's a gong show... said...

Doesn't sound extreme to me....hee hee! Love your posts Carol...that almosts sounds dirty..

Brandy

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you sound perfectly normal to me. Mind you, the gene pool is very similar. Why can't the rest of the world think like us? See any problems with that picture?

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home