Monday, December 11, 2006

opie teepee

Words, acronyms, and abbreviations are great, and provide some good humor when slightly confused.

I often travel with an occupational therapist, and we get labelled OTPT. Recently we were recorded on a school calendar as OPTP. Out-patient toilet paper? old-phashioned travelling people? Ordinary practical trading practises?

My brother's blackberry (or crack-berry as we liked to call it) became a blueberry.

Fiddleheads, in the mind of a 4-year-old, became piano-heads.

Shirley, Goodness, and Mercy were three little girls who spent their entire lives chasing David. As a little kid, I thought about that one for a long time before asking my mom what she thought Shirley might have been wearing. I thought it sounded like a very exhausting life for all of them.

I read about nectarines being placed during a surgical procedure. It took me a while to realize they were supposed to be "neck drains." Many doctors have terrible hand-writing. They also mumble when they do dictation.

I was out for dinner with some elderly friends a few years ago. One ordered ceasar salad. Another lady shrieked across the table "What's that dear? Did you say you're having a seizure?"

It all gives me much more respect and admiration for those who transplant themselves, in their adult lives, into an english-speaking country and go about learning the language.

3 Comments:

Blogger joyce said...

lol. Really, I really did lol!

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was always scared of my auntie Shirley because of that Shirley, Goodness and Mercy song....was convinced that at every family gathering she was going to chase me (and not just once..but forever!)
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on those words...allowed me to finally admit my childhood fear.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Carlotti said...

Ellana, I am lol (yes, really!) at 6:20 a.m. How hilarious is that?!

And here I always thought I was the only little girl to have that mental image.

I didn't have an aunt Shirley, or I probably would have asked her why on earth she was spending all her time running after David.

4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home