Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Just a little pinch

Why don't people ever say "This is going to HURT?!"

I like to think I am a model patient in the dentist's chair. I don't scream, don't flail with my arms and dislodge those sharp weapons from the dentist's hand, don't kick and thrash to express my true feelings.

I lie back politely with my feet crossed. The foot on top is making the bottom foot behave. My hands are politely clenched on my stomach.

I believe the dentist when he says "You'll just feel a few little pinches." So why does it feel like he is sticking red-hot daggers into the most sensitive areas of my mouth? My body politely stays still, though I have to remind myself to breathe. My forehead involuntarily twitches as I imagine that large stainless-steel needle probing around for the best spots.

Then we wait, and I feel a tap on my chin. "Getting numb there yet?" Well, no, actually I'm not. So we wait a little longer. Then open the mouth and scrape that really sore tooth with one of those sharp things. Body stays still but face is sending definite messages. The needle comes out again. This time I feel nothing. This is how it should be.....

The dentist, trying to be sympathetic, tells me that he went for dental work that morning. Then proceeds to say that he passes up the freezing altogether, and that the experience was really painful.

Why on earth would you say this to a Mennonite?! Guilt immediately floods me, followed quickly by sarcastic things like "good for you buddy, but I'm not that sick." Fortunately my mouth no longer belongs to me, so all thoughts stay nicely contained in my head.

I really don't mind going to the dentist, but just a little pinch? How about some honesty here?

Fortunately, the gold crown at the end will make it all worthwhile.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh GREAT. I guess I'm next. BKD (before Ken died) I had the pleasure of going to the dentist and I'm told I need 2 or 3 crowns. What fun. Kettie

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carol,
I'm unfairly eavesdropping on your life without offering much in return. I read your blog (and Blunderview's) obsessively now, feeling that I'm half way to Winnipeg and cousins. One of my work colleagues has read all of your posts as well and we've decided that Kehlers are very fine writers. (Hey, Ken, you're not the only one!) I'm especially taken with the cousins photograph and your account of how things turned out. The incredible economy of language, the built in pauses, the understatement work to evoke an entire world of thought and emotion -- moreso than a long narrative would. Thanks for letting me into that world.
Grace

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home