Friday, May 19, 2006

Parking woes

I just read a very funny post by Cherrypie about parking - reminded me of a not-so-stellar parking experience of my own.

I have taken to parking at the far end of any parking lot - gives me more exercise, and there is always loads of space. On one such occasion, I came out with my grocery-laden cart and started the process of emptying everything into my car. As I lifted out the last bin, the wind took my cart and started it rolling off across the lot. Lots of space means the cart had plenty of room in which to get up quite a speed. I leaped after it and caught up with the beast just after it came to rest against a very shiny, very expensive, very sporty silver Acura.

Now, I want you to get the whole picture here. Cars, in my life, are simply something to get you safely from A to B. I buy the cheapest thing possible, and then drive the thing until it is ready for the shredders. So the offending shopping cart was travelling from a dirty rusting 1990 Accord with a drooping back bumper to the above-described "pride of someone's life" type of car.

The people who drive "these" beautiful cars park at the far end of the parking lot to escape the idiots who don't control their shopping carts, who don't know how to enter or exit a parking space, and who don't care if their cars bear the scars of other car doors.

Imagine my chagrine when I see that my offending cart has made a very definite dent in the beautiful shiny silver car. I start to write a note to leave on the car when I see a handsome man with two gorgeous little girls walking towards my end of the lot. Oh great. Not only did I ram your car with my cart, I now have to confess in person!

I think of him and his shiny car every time I park far far away from a store, and now make sure I also am far far away from beautiful shiny cars.

Parking woes.

2 Comments:

Blogger joyce said...

Great story! was he mad?!

6:00 AM  
Blogger Carlotti said...

Mad no. Sad yes. And quite surprised that I was absolutely prepared to pay for repairs. He thanked me for my honesty. And sent me the bill. It was painful. A little shopping cart can do a lot of damage.

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home