Saturday, August 26, 2006

On Introversion

On Wednesday, I returned home from 6 glorious days in the Canadian wilderness. Just 4 friends, 2 canoes, a bunch of lakes, and no watch adorning my arm. This is our 4th journey together, the friendships growing stronger each year. For each of us, it represents, from slightly different angles, a break from the reality of every-day routines. Most summers, it represents a relaxing canoe trip for me after being "in charge" on multiple other trips.

Fall was in the air, and all of us pulled out our jackets, toques, and socks at one point or another over the 6 days. The nice thing about late August is that the days can still be lovely and warm, so it was just a matter of waiting a few hours and then finding a sheltered spot in which to warm up and eventually leap into the lake. And leap we did. Diane and I spent hours swimming or just floating on our backs staring at the beautiful sky. I also lept out of the canoe at one point (I've always wanted to do that!) as we paddled across a lake. Every day (while standing in the warm sunshine) we talked about doing a night swim under the stars. Our last night on the island, Diane and I actually got outside to contemplate a night swim, but the chattering of my teeth and the rapid jiggling of my kneecaps brought that thought to a rapid end.

There was lots of laughter, wine, chocolate, naps, good food, a few tears, great conversation, swimming, staring, laughing, drinking of wine and strong coffee, paddling, and a few attempts at converting the two canoes into a sailboat. There were two tents, one hammock, and two people who snored.

There was safety and a rich feeling of goodness. As we celebrated communion on the rock beside the water, there was deep joy in the pleasure of serving one another. Support and reminders that we journey together, that we are designed to need and help one another.

Three of us are introverts, the fourth an extrovert. Last summer, someone brought a book called The Introvert Advantage. We devoured it and learned a lot about the plus side of being introverted, about how crowds of people either drain or replenish our energy. I have since enjoyed and celebrated being an introvert, and now offer no apology when I head up the stairs to my third-floor retreat to be alone. I am also developing an understanding of how wonderful it is to be silent in the company of good friends.

The canoes are now at rest, the camping supplies stowed for another year, and we are back into "real" life with more wonderful memories to sustain us.

Being alone in great company.

Introversion

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I to am an introvert, congratulations on learning how to embrace it - that is something I still need to learn.

9:33 PM  
Blogger paulmerrill said...

Glad you had an excellent time on vacation!

I love my time alone, but my extrovert wife loves the parties. We juggle life to keep each other happy...

1:23 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Nice one. And your recent vacation sounds spookily like mine, company excepted.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home