Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Transformations of the best kinds

I have always loved watching my friends and family going through the transformation of parenting. Being the proud auntie of 22 (or somewhere in there, I've stopped counting) neices and nephews, there have been lots of opportunities.

When one of my sisters was expecting her first baby 19 years ago, I remember looking around their house and having trouble picturing it filled with toys, diapers, crayoned pictures, a high chair, crib, walker, etc etc. As you know, the list just goes on and on.

Then the little King came home and took over the palace and the transformation happened overnight. It just all seemed so normal - I wondered how it could ever have been any other way! Since then, their house has morphed through the various stages of parenting - presently being the ever-present stacks of laundry on the stairs going up to the teenagers' bedrooms. My sister keeps believing (silly her) that if she puts their clean and folded clothes on the stairs, completely blocking their way, that they will somehow realize that the clothes need to be transported UP. It doesn't work. They find a toe-hold of space, or just take bigger steps and step over.

Along with the home's tranformation comes the human ones. That's the REAL magic. Having the privilege of developing a relationship with someone as they grow and find their personalities is such a gift.

I am lucky enough to be going through a home/self transformation of my own these days. A dear friend from Korea is staying with me for the next four months, along with her husband and 11-month-old son. Over the past few weeks, my house has been steadily changing. We went through a series of gates at the top of the stairs before finding something sturdy enough to withstand a strong little boy who loves to shake furniture. My book shelf has no books on the bottom 2 shelves, and is now bolted to the wall. There's a colorful plastic baby seat strapped onto one of my newly acquired kitchen chairs. There are bottles all over the kitchen counter. There are toys everywhere. The floor grate in the kitchen is fastened firmly in place with duct tape.

And best of all, I am greeted with a huge smile from a tiny friend when I stumble down the stairs each morning. I have to walk slowly in the kitchen, because I'm often walking in tandem with a little person whose arms are wrapped around my legs. The highlight of this weekend was watching him triumphantly take his first steps across the living room.

Transformations of the best kind.

4 Comments:

Blogger joyce said...

carol- he is so fortunate to inherit you as an auntie.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There's nothing like waking up to the giggles and grins of little ones. It sounds as though you are both blessed to be spending time together.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

That huge smile is all that one could ever ask for.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Lucy Kruze said...

Carlotti...thanx for visiting my blog and thank you for the nice comment too.
It is definately a major change to have a toddler in the house,my friend has a 2 year old and he has quite the curious little spirit...he runs through my house with barely a thought to the danger lurking every where, sharp corners, glass jars full of antique marbles just waiting to get stuck in a childs throat,an extremely hot wood burning stove, and a million outlets unprotected by those little plastic thingys...when he is here I am definatly on my toes and burn oodles and oodles of calories but I love him to pieces...

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home