Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A River Runs Through it

I love Winnipeg.

Really.

I have left it, lived elsewhere, and it only confirms that this is the place for me.

Do I sound defensive? Well, if you have a problem with me sounding defensive, go get some counselling. It's my city and I'll defend it if I want to.

We are lucky to have not one, but two rivers winding their way through our lovely city. At least once a year, I manage to go for a paddle down one or the other. Only once have I taken an involuntary swim. It was very windy and I was trying to turn my kayak. I happened to be bobbing just when the Paddlewheel Queen, full of passengers, cruised by. I did my best to look casual and relaxed while simultaneously thinking:
  • where is my paddle?
  • Is it a long-term health risk to be doused in the water of the Red River?
  • Where is my water bottle?
  • How did that shore entry thing work again?!
  • Must not lose water bottle.
  • Will I ever be clean again?

The above picture was taken just a week ago. Needless to say, when my friend in the bow asked me to curb the impulses (how did she know?!) to stand up in the stern of the canoe, I thought it might be best to heed her wisdom.

We paddled upstream, and found a nice warm sunny spot to enjoy a cold refreshing drink. (We split the third one.)


We paddled under this railway bridge. Wondered how they got it to swivel, and how long it's been in its present position. Laughed about how this middle section would make the perfect retreat for an introvert. No worries about people dropping by. Sights and sounds of the city within easy reach.

We paddled under this big old tree and stopped to float there so we could properly enjoy the fall colors and the leaves drifting down.

In a while, we'll be skiing, strolling, or skating down this same river (carefully avoiding the icky soft spots where our "treated" sewer is returned to nature.)

The good, bad, ugly, and beautiful. It's all right here in Winnipeg.

And I love it.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it too. Someday I hope to return to it. Beautiful pictures! Laura

7:54 PM  
Blogger David said...

Wow, just wow. Those are amazing photos. Thank you for sharing.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

Wonderful Carol. Those are great photos. It's a view of Winnipeg that only a very small percentage will actually see. I've never even seen it myself. You'd never even know you were in the middle of the city from where you're paddling.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could I come with you sometime? I don't want to do any of the planning, I just want to show up and enjoy the view. Laura

7:34 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

Carol-- very beautiful post.
Everything about it.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Carlotti said...

Thanks to all. Anyone is welcome on a river excursion; the view of Winnipeg from a canoe is one that really should be experienced.

Laura, planning is very minimal and involves the following steps:
pick a day, pick a river, pick your choice of refreshing beverage, do it. Even our dear sister Kathy used to come paddling with her lovely children down the La Salle every now and then.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carlotti.....how would the rest of us ever manage without your amazing memory? Wow, it made me sounds kinda "sporty", eh? Your post is ever so beautiful, words and pictures. If you ever write a book, I'd read it for sure. You're the best, in the west, in a vest. Hey, Ken wore a lot of vests(now all his vests are.....YES, I am on imitrex). Love you, Kettie

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just see you trying to look all fine & casual close to nature and all, bobbing around in that dirty water while all these "cruise people" are looking on. Hahaaaaaaaaa...what a fine picture!! Kettie

9:58 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I too am a lover and defender of Winnipeg. But we have at least 3 rivers. Don't forget the Seine. It too is beautiful! We live on the rive and I'll wave to you if I see you.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carol. Its me Rosa. Hey you should work for the city's tourism commitee or whatever they call it. Makes me want to go there. Great peice on Winnipeg. Hope all is well. You have been in my thought a great deal lately. I also loved the pictures of your mom on the above post. I am falling in love with mother. Your mother has always been intreging{no idea how to spell that} to me.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home