Saturday, November 04, 2006

The perfect Saturday

Awake at 6:10. Happy, knowing that the crossword puzzle is waiting for me on the front steps. Some people think this is a "newspaper" but no, it's a crossword puzzle wrapped in the Saturday Globe and Mail.

Make the super-duper-strong coffee before dashing down to get the puzzle.

Drink 3 cups of jolting java while making the first pass through the puzzle.

Glance through the paper. Chortle at the dinner party section and decide I MUST post on it before this thought leaves me.

First stop at the computer is email. A note from my cousin entitled "Wake-up call." She's up, drinking coffee, wants to chat but doesn't want to wake me up. I call her laughing; we make a breakfast date for 9:30. I make a mental note to eat lightly; I have a brunch date at 11:00.

Breakfast with cousin and her lovely hubby at The Nook - a greasy spoon nearby that has been serving happy customers breakfast for years and years. They brew their decaf. We laugh and talk and I have to tear myself away at 11:00. Efforts at eating lightly survived as far as the one egg and toast; I couldn't resist the heaping pile of REAL hash browns on my plate......

Phone rings enroute to brunch. I answer with a meek "yes, I know I'm late!" Carolyn isn't dressed yet, but promises she's on her way. All is well. Time for a quick walk, a trip to Safeway, and multiple perusals of the menu. I want fruit and cottage cheese, but there's no such thing on the menu. End up with a quesadilla and salad.

Brunch goes til 3:00. I may never need to eat again. I feel sated with good friendships and food. Multiple more cups of decaf.

Stop by another friend's to pick up a drill. My drill battery is only capable of holding a charge strong enough to put in 6 or 7 screws at a time. This makes the projects take a veeeeeerrrrrry long time.

Out for a walk in the brisk but lovely cool November air with my cool and lovely neice. Home and happy at 5:30.

It's 9:00 and the stair railing is finally in place. That only took 4 years of thinking about it, 2 trips to Rona, and 3 evenings of work.

Now it's time to snuggle into bed with a book. What a perfect Saturday it's been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home