Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Grey Cup

Grey Cup fever has hit Winnipeg. Now let me just share with you that I am pretty oblivious to all events associated with professional sports, and am deliriously happy that I do NOT get invited annually to a Grey Cup party where I would have to feign interest in the game, not just linger at the snacks table and sample all the lovely offerings.

I didn't even know, until Thursday or Friday of last week, that our lovely city was hosting this wonderful event this weekend. I figured it out during a 3-hour drive back to the the city. Counting on CBC for interesting listening, as I usually do, I was treated to non-stop GREY CUP talk! I switched to CD's instead and drove to the tunes of KD Lang and the Fairfield Four, my latest favorites. (No, you won't find them in the top 40.) I love being past the point of caring whether or not I "fit in" to the current rage. For a very well-written post on that topic, check out Muddy Red Shoes post entitled "20 years ago." I don't know how to do those fancy hyperlink things, so you'll just have to find those shoes the old-fashioned way.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Yesterday was the Grey Cup parade. I actually wanted to go, as they were combining it with the annual Santa Claus parade (You can't actually expect Winnipegers to loiter outside for TWO winter parades!) and I have very fond memories of our family making the trek to the city to watch the parade from the top of The Bay parkade.

But alas, not knowing this event was the main attraction this weekend, my friend Valerie/Dalerie/Zalerie and I had tickets to see the stage production of Summer of My Amazing Luck at the Warehouse theatre. The fortunate thing about parade traffic is that it actually caused Valerie/Dalerie/Zalerie to be EARLY - this is worth celebrating. Our main concern was finding a route around the closed-off streets and finding a spot to park. All was well, and the play was wickedly funny and well done.

Big sigh of relief - the Grey Cup has not caused any inconvenience to my life thus far.

So imagine the comic relief I got when the phone rang last night and I was offered a FREE TICKET to go to the GREY CUP! Sure it couldn't actually be anything resembling the truth, I laughed and laughed, and made it absolutely clear to my friend how little I actually care about this game.

Well, it turns out she shares my sentiments, didn't even know which teams were playing, but was given these 2 tickets. Mulling through the possibilities of who to share this experience with, she came up with me! Mostly because she suspected I cared about as much as she did about this incredible honor.

My apologies to all of you who will be sitting on your couches (warm and cozy, no doubt) and wishing fervently you could be at the game.

I will be. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Me.

At the Grey Cup.

Hee hee.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carlotti....MY GOODNESS, too funny, crazy funny. I'd like to be there and spy on you and your friend being not very typical sporty type fans! Now I'll actually want to watch just in case I see you. What colour will you be wearing? Dress Warm sister. kettie

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, congratulations! Is it happening today? If I knew how to hook up my T.V. or felt like spending hours figuring it out, I'd watch the game too. Have fun. (Like you need to be told that.) Laura

9:30 AM  
Blogger Carlotti said...

Kettie and Laura: 2 like-minded folks, no doubt! I don't know what I'll be wearing, just a LOT. Maybe we'll make pom-poms this afernoon's craft activity. Oh wait a minute, what color should they be?!

Fun will definitely had by all.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Carlotti said...

That should say "Fun will definitely be had by all."

10:13 AM  
Blogger joyce said...

oh, priceless. But what sounds really exciting is that mtc production!
(remember Friday is ugly sweater party day)

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was invited to my 2nd ever Grey Cup party and I went. It was with others who really don't care, but the SNACKS!!!!!! were they great, or what????????? Wonder if I'll be invited again? Ugly sweater day, here I come.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.K. So how was it? Laura

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home