Monday, November 06, 2006

Happy Anniversary

My parents celebrated 56 years of wedded bliss yesterday. When asked how "today" compared to their wedding day, my mom laughed and said today was much better. "Now I know how it all turned out" was her response.

I hosted the party. Planning for it was even more lame than usual. I invited people, then spent three days (with a perpetually dying drill) putting up a railing so my dad could walk up the stairs. If you look closely, you will see the white blotches where I drilled lots of "extra" holes looking for the studs lurking behind those lath and plaster strips.

Sunday morning, I started wondering about food. Some family members offered to bring stuff, so I predicted that mom would bring bread and Kathy would bring a salad. Opened the fridge 1 1/2 hours before leaving for church. Not much there. Found enough ingredients to throw together beef and barley soup in the slow cooker. A loaf of sourdough bread. Plenty of beverages. Pickles. Veggies for munching on. Decided that an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen would make a great dessert. It all worked out. Mom brought buns, Kathy brought a cheesecake.

We hung out, the kids played, we headed outside to make some snowmen. I wouldn't normally sacrifice olives for snow creatures, but these were destined for the rubbish bin. (Much to the dismay of 2 of the snowpeople builders; they were relieved to learn that the raisins and carrots were okay to snack on......)






The carrots and raisins weren't the only appealing snacks available outside.....

I'd have to agree that things turned out pretty well.

Happy anniversary.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those snow people...I always love snow people. And wow wait to go mom and dad....So few make it and so few are so beautiful doing it....I mean the aging and marrying and living .. well I'll stop before I make a mess.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carlotti...ede read your site and noticed that I brought the cheesecake that she thought I had put in the freezer for her, Ed, Ed & Darc. Oops! I thought I could do that without anyone noticing and today I had made a grocery list of all the ingrediants to make another one! Anyway....I LOVE the Cedey picture. You're the best, in the....Love, Kathy

11:53 AM  
Blogger joyce said...

:0 loverly.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home